Sunday, September 23, 2007

GREAT NEWS! Bad News. Good News.

I was surfing the net and came across a doctor's email address from Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland, which is the BEST of the BEST! They have more than ten specialized doctors in the Epilepsy Center alone!

Anyway, I emailed Austin's story to this doctor yesterday. He emailed me back within 2 hours...on a Saturday! He immediately mentioned that it sounds like Austin has Doose syndrome, which only effects about 2% of childhood epilepsy! He said that he would be happy to take over his case! This is a HUGE deal! We could not ask for anything better! After researching a bit, this doctor actually co-authored the John Hopkins book, The Ketogenic Diet, which is a bestseller and the #1 book for the diet. IMPRESSIVE!

For the bad news, they don't accept Austin's insurance.

Good news...Austin won't have to be admitted for his treatment, so we'll just be charged for outpatient services, which isn't near as expensive as admission, but still expensive I'm sure.

We believe this is God's answer to our prayers! Please pray that we can find a way for this to work out. Austin deserves the BEST care out there, and this is it!

I've added a few links on the sidebar to sites relating to Austin's epilepsy.

Our Guestbook - Please Sign!